US Defence Secretary’s Visit to India off due to Coronavirus

Washington: The rapid spread of the novel Coronavirus has led to the US Defense Secretary Mark Esper putting off his trip to India, Pakistan and Uzbekistan scheduled from March 16 to 20, the Pentagon said on March 10.

Esper decided “to remain in the US to help manage the DoD response” to the outbreak of Covid-19, the new strain of potentially deadly Coronavirus spreading around the world, said Pentagon spokeswoman Alyssa Farah.

ads

The US military has been largely spared so far by the Coronavirus, with only a dozen or so cases confirmed among its forces deployed around the world.

But officials are trying to keep the Pentagon headquarters, where 20,000 service people and civilian employees work every day, free of the virus.

Civilian employees have been asked to do remote working from home while those who do show up are advised to practice “social distancing” and keep at least two yards (meters) away from their colleagues in the workplace.

More like this

YARI Robotics Launches YARI V6X and YARI Atlas, its Flight Controller and Data Platform for Small Unmanned Vehicles

Coimbatore. YARI Robotics announced the worldwide launch of YARI...

India Stands at a Defining Moment

The international order is undergoing its most profound transformation...

India as Consequential Power: Testing Decade Ahead

Between roughly 2015 and 2025, India moved from being...

India Arrives: The Decade Power Stopped Being Borrowed

There is a particular kind of confidence that comes...

From Independence to Strategic Autonomy: India’s Next Decade of Uncrewed Capability

Every Independence Day invites India to look back at...

India’s Geopolitical Moment

As the world stands at an inflection point, the...

India’s Rise as a Consequential Power

A decade ago, India was a story the world found...
Indian Navy Special Edition 2025spot_img