US to Reduce Military Contribution to European Allies Including Fighter Jets, Warships and Mid-Air Refuelling Aircraft

Washington: The US intends to significantly reduce military contributions available to assist European allies in a crisis, including fighter jets, warships and mid-air refuelling aircraft, German news outlet Spiegel reported.

The NATO alliance is under unprecedented strain, with some European countries concerned that Washington may withdraw outright.

ads

US President Donald Trump has slammed European allies for not spending enough on their militaries and pledged to withdraw thousands of troops from Germany. His ambition to take control of Greenland, a Danish overseas territory, has further inflamed transatlantic tensions. Trump also fiercely criticised European allies for a lack of support in reopening the Strait of Hormuz for shipping amid the war on Iran, saying he was considering withdrawing from the NATO alliance and questioning whether Washington was bound to honour its mutual defence pact.

According to the Spiegel report, an envoy of US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth briefed senior officials from member states on the plan at NATO headquarters in Brussels late last week.

Three sources familiar with the matter had told Reuters the Trump administration was planning to tell NATO allies last week it would shrink the pool of military capabilities available to the alliance during a crisis.

The US aims to provide only half the previous number of strategic bombers, the reports said. Specifically, the number of US fighter jets is set to fall by a third, Spiegel cited US envoy Alexander Velez-Green as saying during the closed-door meeting. The US Navy is also set to make fewer destroyers available to NATO, and the US no longer intends to provide any submarines to the alliance.

big bang

Under the changes, Europe would be forced to provide its own reconnaissance drones, while the US plans to significantly scale back the provision of armed models. The US will provide further details at a force generation conference in early June, the Spiegel report said.

The German defence ministry did not immediately respond to a Reuters’ request for comment.

huges

A spokeswoman for NATO told Spiegel that there had been an “over-reliance” on the US in NATO force planning and that, with Europe and Canada investing more in defence, military responsibilities within the alliance could be reorganised.

More like this

Modernisation of Artillery: Pace Needs a Push

Pakistan has deployed the majority of its 250 Chinese-manufactured...

Elbit Systems Sweden to Launch THMS Mobile Battlefield Networking Platform at DALO 

Hernin, Denmark. Elbit Systems Sweden AB, a subsidiary of...

As India’s Private Space Sector Expands, Tripura Opens New Pathways for Young Talent 

Mumbai: As India’s private space sector enters a new phase...

Do228 NXT Makes its African Debut at El Alamein Airshow in Egypt and AAD 2026 in South Africa

Oberpfaffenhofen. In September 2026, General Atomics AeroTec Systems (GA-ATS)...

Iran Firmly Denies Any Direct or Indirect Negotiations with United States

Tehran: Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Esmail Baghaei August 17...

US Air Force Looks to Acquire Next-Gen Target Drones

Washington: The US Air Force wants target drones that...

Ramping Up Production: US Army Requests 133,000 GMLRS Rockets by 2034

Washington: With questions about stockpiles swirling, the US Army...

US Space Force, Japan Launch Sensor Aboard Japan’s QZS-7

Washington: A US Space Force Space Domain Awareness payload...
Indian Navy Special Edition 2025spot_img