Japan Confirms Scrapping Deployment of US Missile Defence System against Threats from North Korea

Tokyo: Japan’s National Security Council has endorsed plans to cancel the deployment of two costly land-based US missile defence systems aimed at bolstering the country’s capability against threats from North Korea, the country’s defence minister Taro Kono said on June 25.

Kono said the country will now revise its missile defence programme and scale up its entire defence posture.

ads

Kono announced the plan to scrap the systems earlier this month after it was found that the safety of one of the two planned host communities could not be ensured without a hardware redesign that would be too time consuming and costly.

“We couldn’t move forward with this project, but still there are threats from North Korea,” Kono said at a news conference.

Japan will discuss ways to better protect the country and the people from the North’s missiles and other threats, he said.

Defence officials have said the two Aegis Ashore units could cover Japan entirely from one station at Yamaguchi in the south and another at Akita in the north.

big bang

The plan to deploy the two systems already had faced a series of setbacks, including questions about the selection of one of the sites, repeated cost estimate hikes that climbed to 450 billion yen (US$4.1 billion) for their 30-year operation and maintenance, and safety concerns that led to local opposition.

Kono said Japan has signed contract worth nearly half the total cost and paid part of it to the US. He said Japan is trying to get the most out of what it has already paid, though he did not elaborate.

huges

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, who has steadily pushed to step up Japan’s defence capability, said last week that in light of the scrapping the government would need to reconsider Japan’s missile defence programme and do more under the country’s security alliance with the US.

Kono also raised concern about China’s increasingly assertive activity in regional seas and skies. He said Chinese coast guard vessels are repeatedly in and out of Japanese waters around disputed East China Sea islands, and a Chinese submarine recently passed just off Japan’s southern coast.

“China is trying to change the status quo unilaterally in East China Sea, South China Sea and with Indian border and Hong Kong as well,” Kono said. “It is easy to make connections about those issues.”

More like this

YARI Robotics Launches YARI V6X and YARI Atlas, its Flight Controller and Data Platform for Small Unmanned Vehicles

Coimbatore. YARI Robotics announced the worldwide launch of YARI...

India Stands at a Defining Moment

The international order is undergoing its most profound transformation...

India as Consequential Power: Testing Decade Ahead

Between roughly 2015 and 2025, India moved from being...

India Arrives: The Decade Power Stopped Being Borrowed

There is a particular kind of confidence that comes...

From Independence to Strategic Autonomy: India’s Next Decade of Uncrewed Capability

Every Independence Day invites India to look back at...

India’s Geopolitical Moment

As the world stands at an inflection point, the...

India’s Rise as a Consequential Power

A decade ago, India was a story the world found...
Indian Navy Special Edition 2025spot_img