Five US Air Force KC-135 Tankers at Saudi Arabia Air Base Damaged by Iranian Missile Strike

Washington: An Iranian missile strike damaged five US Air Force KC-135 Stratotanker refuelling aircraft on the ground at Prince Sultan Air Base in Saudi Arabia, two US officials told The Wall Street Journal.

The aircraft were parked on the flight line at the time of the strike and sustained damage but were not destroyed, according to the officials. The tankers are being repaired and are expected to return to service. No US personnel were killed in the attack, The Wall Street Journal reported.

ads

President Donald Trump disputed those characterisations in a  Truth Social post, saying, “The Base was hit a few days ago, but the planes were not “struck” or “destroyed.” Four of the five had virtually no damage, and are already back in service. One had slightly more damage, but will be in the air shortly. None were destroyed, or close to that.”

Trump singled out The Wall Street Journal by name, saying its reporting was “the exact opposite of the actual facts.”

US Central Command declined to comment on the strike.

Prince Sultan Air Base has served as a key hub for US aerial refuelling operations supporting Operation Epic Fury, the joint US-Israel campaign against Iran. An Iranian attack on the base March 1 led to the death of one US soldier, Sgt Benjamin Pennington, 26.

big bang

In addition to the five aircraft struck in Saudi Arabia, a KC-135 crashed in western Iraq last week. All six crew members aboard the downed aircraft were killed, the Pentagon announced. US Central Command has said the crash was not due to hostile or friendly fire and remains under investigation.

The US Air Force operates approximately 376 KC-135s across active duty, Air Force Reserve,and Air National Guard units, according to the Congressional Research Service. The Air Force has been gradually replacing the Stratotanker with the Boeing KC-46A Pegasus, which entered service in 2019 and has reached a fleet of 100 aircraft.

huges

KC-46A deliveries were paused for several months in 2025 after cracks were discovered in multiple aircraft, and the programme continues to address technical deficiencies, including issues with its refuelling boom, according to the Department of Defence’s Director of Operational Test and Evaluation.

More like this

Blood, Borders and Betrayal: The Bangladesh Question

The Death in Chattogram and the Larger Question: On May...

Honours for GRSE Women Leaders Shaping Maritime Excellence

Kolkata: Reinforcing its stature as one of India’s leading...

Krishna Defence Reports Strong Q4FY26 Results; Net Profit Rises 72.9% YoY to Rs 128 Million

Mumbai: Krishna Defence and Allied Industries Limited, a rapidly advancing...

The Royal Thai Air Force Orders Two Airbus C295 Tactical Transport Aircraft

Getafe, Spain. The Royal Thai Air Force has acquired two Airbus C295...

Senior White House Officials Place Ukraine’s Military Ahead of Allied Counterparts, Trump Says Ukraine Lacks Leverage

Kyiv: Senior White House officials publicly placed Ukraine’s military...

Turkey to Buy 100 Expendable USVs for its Navy

İzmir: Turkey is moving to buy 100 expendable unmanned...

Germany Pushes Plan for a European Military Space Command

Vienna: Germany’s defence minister used a rare four-nation gathering...

Italy to Buy Six Airbus A330 Multi-role Tanker Transport Aircraft

Rome: Italy is to buy six Airbus A330 MRTT...
Indian Navy Special Edition 2025spot_img