Trump Suggests US Troop Levels in Afghanistan Could be Cut in Half by Election Day

 

Washington: President Donald Trump said he expects US troop strength in Afghanistan could be under 5,000 by Election Day in November and called America’s involvement in the Middle East “the single biggest mistake in the history of our country” in an interview with Axios released on August 3 night.

ads

US military forces have already dropped by more than 3,000 personnel this year, bringing the American military footprint to about 8,500 troops, around the same level as when Trump took office in 2017.

When pressed if that force level represented a real change in strategy in the region — where US forces have been deployed for nearly 19 years — Trump said that he expected the troop levels to drop by half “very soon.”

When asked what the levels would be on Election Day in November, Trump said he expected “between 4,000 and 5,000″ troops there.

Last month, House lawmakers in a bipartisan vote approved limits on the administration’s power to reduce the US troops numbers in Afghanistan below 8,000 without meeting clear security benchmarks first. That measure still must be approved by the Senate.

big bang

Critics of the ongoing war have countered that the United States has remained in the region well past any useful mission, and that Trump should not leave American troops there indefinitely.

Trump has alternated between the two sides, repeatedly pledging to end US involvement in the war but also agreeing to military plus-ups in the region during the course of his presidency. As many as 14,000 US troops have been deployed to the region in recent years, after former President Obama reduced that force size to under 9,000 by the end of his term.

huges

In the interview, Trump brushed off assertions that he hasn’t done enough to end the war in Afghanistan, saying that his administration has been tougher on terrorist groups than any other.

“We took out ISIS in Syria,” he said. “When I took over, it was totally rampant, ISIS was all over the place. We took them out, we captured them, we killed them …

“I’ve done things that no other president has done. We should have never been in the Middle East. To get into the Middle East was the single biggest mistake made in the history of our country.”

More like this

Democracy Was Never Built for Algorithmic Civilisation

The Day Public Opinion Became Programmable: Democracy was designed...

RAF’s Typhoon Uses Rafael’s LITENING Pod to Improve Kill Rate of APKWS Laser-Guided Rockets

Tel Aviv: The Rafael’s LITENING pod is used by...

The Modern Evolution of India’s Kinetic Diplomacy

the global travel schedule of Defence Minister Rajnath Singh...

Thales Delivers First Two GM403 Radars To Indonesia

New Delhi: With air surveillance of critical importance in...

Islamabad’s Strategic Anxieties Continue as China Rejects its Plea for Nuclear Second-Strike Capability

New Delhi: China has reportedly refused Pakistan’s plea for...

Strengthening Deterrence Posture: India Successfully Test-Fires Agni-1 Ballistic Missile

New Delhi: India has once again demonstrated its strategic...

Third India-Nordic Summit Underscores India as a Co-author of Global Governance 

New Delhi: India’s emergence as a co‑author of global...

Blood, Borders and Betrayal: The Bangladesh Question

The Death in Chattogram and the Larger Question: On May...
Indian Navy Special Edition 2025spot_img