Australia: First Country Outside South China Sea Region to Approach UN on China’s Claims

 

New Delhi: In a significant development, Australia became the first country outside the South China Sea region to approach the United Nations over China’s territorial claims and development of artificial islands in the area – a gateway for global trade including India.

ads

In its petition to the UN, Australia said it rejected China’s “historical claims” in the South China Sea region because it violates international law and the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea. This comes after the US lambasted Chinese claims in the region, which is the world’s busiest shipping route.

India has maintained over the years that trade through the South China Sea region should not be impeded under any circumstance and has advocated upholding the convention on the Law of the Sea.

Australia has emerged as one of the sharpest critics of China since the Coronavirus outbreak, notwithstanding strong, bilateral trade ties. It called for a global investigation into the origin of Coronavirus, which first emerged in the Chinese city of Wuhan last year.

Australia’s declaration to the UN, submitted on July 23, reads: “Australia rejects China’s claim to ‘historic rights’ or ‘maritime rights and interests’ as established in the ‘long course of historical practice’ in the South China Sea.”

big bang

Referring to the 2016 ruling by the Permanent Court of Arbitration, Australia said, “There is no legal basis for China to draw straight baselines connecting the outermost points of maritime features or ‘island groups’ in the South China Sea.”

It asserted that it did not accept Beijing’s claim that its sovereignty over the Paracel Islands and Spratly Islands was “widely recognised by the international community,” citing objections from Vietnam and the Philippines.

huges

Over the past decade, China has built bases on artificial islands in the South China Sea region, saying its rights go back centuries. Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam contest China’s claims. Indonesia, southeast Asia’s biggest nation, has also taken umbrage to Chinese attempts to encroach into its territorial waters.

Beijing claims a vast portion of the area, bound by what is known as the ‘nine-dash line,’ and has backed its claims with island-building and patrols. In 2016, an international tribunal ruled against China, saying there was no evidence it had historically exercised exclusive control over the sea’s waters or resources. China rejected the judgment.

More like this

Blood, Borders and Betrayal: The Bangladesh Question

The Death in Chattogram and the Larger Question: On May...

Honours for GRSE Women Leaders Shaping Maritime Excellence

Kolkata: Reinforcing its stature as one of India’s leading...

Krishna Defence Reports Strong Q4FY26 Results; Net Profit Rises 72.9% YoY to Rs 128 Million

Mumbai: Krishna Defence and Allied Industries Limited, a rapidly advancing...

The Royal Thai Air Force Orders Two Airbus C295 Tactical Transport Aircraft

Getafe, Spain. The Royal Thai Air Force has acquired two Airbus C295...

Senior White House Officials Place Ukraine’s Military Ahead of Allied Counterparts, Trump Says Ukraine Lacks Leverage

Kyiv: Senior White House officials publicly placed Ukraine’s military...

Turkey to Buy 100 Expendable USVs for its Navy

İzmir: Turkey is moving to buy 100 expendable unmanned...

Germany Pushes Plan for a European Military Space Command

Vienna: Germany’s defence minister used a rare four-nation gathering...

Italy to Buy Six Airbus A330 Multi-role Tanker Transport Aircraft

Rome: Italy is to buy six Airbus A330 MRTT...
Indian Navy Special Edition 2025spot_img