US Defence Secretary’s Visit to India off due to Coronavirus

Washington: The rapid spread of the novel Coronavirus has led to the US Defense Secretary Mark Esper putting off his trip to India, Pakistan and Uzbekistan scheduled from March 16 to 20, the Pentagon said on March 10.

Esper decided “to remain in the US to help manage the DoD response” to the outbreak of Covid-19, the new strain of potentially deadly Coronavirus spreading around the world, said Pentagon spokeswoman Alyssa Farah.

ads

The US military has been largely spared so far by the Coronavirus, with only a dozen or so cases confirmed among its forces deployed around the world.

But officials are trying to keep the Pentagon headquarters, where 20,000 service people and civilian employees work every day, free of the virus.

Civilian employees have been asked to do remote working from home while those who do show up are advised to practice “social distancing” and keep at least two yards (meters) away from their colleagues in the workplace.

More like this

Can 2026 Pave the Path for India’s Security Resilience?

AYear of Awakening: In 2025, India’s security establishment confronted...

Calm Amidst Commotion

From India’s vantage point, the prevailing international order is...

Navigating Uncertainty: Building Resilience

As  this January-March 2026 issue goes to print, the...

Invoking Sutras and Chakras

In recent times, Artificial Intelligence (AI) has emerged as...

India’s Quantum Security Imperative 2026

As the United Nations declared 2025 the International Year...

India’s Own Shield: The Armour of Autonomy

For decades, India was defined by the paradox of...

Co-Creating Smart, Resilient Airports for India’s Growth

Air travel in India is more frequent than ever,...

India-France Year of Innovation 2026: India is Now Part of the Five Thales Global Corporate Research Centres

Bengaluru, India/ Meudon, France: India joins the ranks of...
Indian Navy Special Edition 2025spot_img