US Space Force Picks Five Firms to Develop Protected Tactical SATCOM-Global Capability

Washington: The US Space Force has chosen five companies to develop tactical communications satellites that have built-in protections against enemy jamming.

The service’s acquisition arm, Space Systems Command, awarded Boeing, Northrop Grumman, Intelsat, Viasat and Astranis a combined $37 million to design and demonstrate the Protected Tactical SATCOM-Global capability, or PTS-G. The larger indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity contract has a $4 billion ceiling.

ads

Cordell DeLaPena, program executive officer for Tactical SATCOM, said the Space Force intentionally chose a mix of commercial and more traditional prime contractors for the effort, in part to move faster and keep development costs down.

“By maximising the use of commercially available products and awarding to a pool of offerors on this IDIQ contract, the Space Force ensures value for the DOD and taxpayer while driving competition and promoting the long-term viability of the SATCOM industrial base,” he said in a statement.

The service created PTS-G last year with a goal of launching the new satellite constellation by 2028. Its fiscal 2026 budget includes about $240 million for the effort.

The program is part of an enterprise approach to developing anti-jam capabilities, the Protected Tactical SATCOM Family of Systems. The Space Force announced July 3 that the effort would focus on rapidly delivering satellites that are protected against signal disruption by delivering capability incrementally, starting as soon as next year.

big bang

The service describes PTS-G as a bridge between more resilient, mission-focused systems and the SATCOM services available commercially. The satellites will augment current systems and provide worldwide access for military operators. While the goal is for global coverage, the program will initially focus on select hubs.

Each company selected for the first phase of PTS-G will conduct a capability demonstration within six months, a spokesperson said.

huges

That work will inform follow-on contracts next year to companies to develop production satellites that will launch in 2028. That year, SSC plans to issue a second round of production contracts for spacecraft projected to launch in 2031.

More like this

Elbit Systems Awarded Contracts Valued at Approximately $435 Million for Advanced Defence Systems

Haifa, Israel. Elbit Systems Ltd. Announced February 17 that it was...

BEL and Safran Sign Joint Venture Agreement and Master Production Agreement for HAMMER Production in India

Bengaluru: Navratna Defence PSU Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) and...

Rise of Jamaat-e-Islami in Bangladesh and Its Impact on India

The keenly watched elections in Bangladesh were important, not...

Tata Advanced Systems Inaugurates Airbus H125 Helicopter Production Line to Boost India’s Vertical-lift Capabilities

Vemagal, Karnataka, (India). Tata Advanced Systems Limited (TASL) has...

GE Aerospace Primes a Supplier Ecosystem in India

Aerospace veteran Srinivasan Dwarakanath has the reserved demeanor of...

Autonomous Guard Signs MoU with an Indian Company to Supply B 3 System, Initial Deal Valued at $1.9 Million

Tel Aviv: Israeli company Autonomous Guard has signed a...

Israel Receives Around $8.7 Billion Defence Procurement Package from India

Tel Aviv: India has approved a major defence procurement...
Indian Navy Special Edition 2025spot_img