US Air Force Test-Launches Unarmed Minuteman III ICBM with Three Warheads

Vandenberg Space Force Base (California): The US Air Force launched an unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile over the Pacific Ocean in a routine test, a service release said.

The missile was fired from here around 1:30 am local time, and travelled about 4,200 miles to the Marshall Islands, where the US has conducted nuclear weapons tests for decades. Test launches ensure America’s land-based nuclear missiles are still viable after more than 50 years, and are a chance to vet upgrades or different methods of controlling the weapons. They also serve as a warning shot to deter aggression against the United States.

ads

“These test launches verify the accuracy and reliability of the ICBM weapon system, providing valuable data to ensure a continued safe, secure and effective nuclear deterrent,” the Air Force said in the release.

This week’s Minuteman III was capable of carrying three nuclear warheads — a design that would allow a single ICBM to hit three separate targets with one launch. The Air Force occasionally tests that configuration but does not use it on its active arsenal of missiles, which each carry one warhead.

The Air Force cautioned that the event was not held in reaction to current world events. It has test-launched two other ICBMs so far this year. Still, the trial run came shortly after the head of Russia’s Roscosmos space agency announced September 1 that the country had deployed a new “Sarmat” long-range ICBM that is capable of carrying multiple warheads and can evade surveillance. North Korea has test-launched more than 100 ballistic and cruise missiles since the beginning of 2022 to protest America’s military ties with neighbouring South Korea and Japan.

Four hundred nuclear-tipped ICBMs are currently in service in underground silos across the continental US, where airmen sit in bunkers around the clock in case the president issues launch orders.

big bang

The Air Force plans to replace the Minuteman III fleet with the LGM-35A Sentinel, a modern missile that the Pentagon has estimated may cost around $264 billion over the course of 50 years. The weapons are slated to enter service starting in 2028.

More like this

Tata Advanced Systems Inaugurates Airbus H125 Helicopter Production Line to Boost India’s Vertical-lift Capabilities

Vemagal, Karnataka, (India). Tata Advanced Systems Limited (TASL) has...

GE Aerospace Primes a Supplier Ecosystem in India

Aerospace veteran Srinivasan Dwarakanath has the reserved demeanor of...

Autonomous Guard Signs MoU with an Indian Company to Supply B 3 System, Initial Deal Valued at $1.9 Million

Tel Aviv: Israeli company Autonomous Guard has signed a...

Israel Receives Around $8.7 Billion Defence Procurement Package from India

Tel Aviv: India has approved a major defence procurement...

DIU, US Navy Seek Long-range UAS Capable of Carrying Fighter-sized Munitions

Washington: The Defence Innovation Unit (DIU) is seeking firms...

Vice Adm Kataras, Chief of the Hellenic Navy General Staff Visit Focused on Furthering India-Greece Maritime Engagements

New Delhi: Vice Admiral Dimitrios Eleftherios Kataras had bilateral...

Major Push Towards ‘Make in India’ with Rafale Manufacturing in the Country

In early February 2026, India's Defence Secretary, Rajesh Kumar...

First Cadet Training Ship Launched

Chennai: Yard 18003 (Krishna), the first of the three...
Indian Navy Special Edition 2025spot_img